Re: RE: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM, todd reynolds <toddreyn@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is this implication in the technical term which does imply
> sampling of
> live material.

I think that is a good definition. I like that it doesn't state that
the "live material" must be an audio input and I also like that it
doesn't state that the "sampled live material" must be in the form of
loops. In my opinion it would be fully appropriate for a live looping
festival to present an artist that works with electronic "in-the-box"
sound synthesis/creation. And who says every snagged sample has to be
a loop? Even the EDP can be run in "on shot mode". Now, if talking in
musical terms; the fractal like circular structure often found in
"livelooping music" is just as present with an artist that does live
sequencing, meaning that instead of manipulating loop playback this
artist manipulates patterns and how patterns drive playback of sound
samples. I fully support not going into musical definitions but rather
stay with the technical.

By the way, where does this term "live looping" come from, when the
art form actually is "live sampling"?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com