Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

W/R/T taking a one-bar figure and mapping it to actual chord changes... Ableton will allow things like this...

Make a one-bar loop of MIDI content (or MIDI-driven samples of audio waveforms - you need lots of samples for this though).

Then with the Scale, Chord, and Random MIDI effects you can take that same one-bar figure and remap it on the fly to use the appropriate notes for any of your changes... and using the Random effect you can set it to 'color outside the lines' just enough to stay interesting and not sound so mechanical. Takes a bit to set up the starting conditions, but once done it's super fun, and 'playable'... you can spontaneously generate the first bar, then with the MIDI operators mapped to your controller of choice, make on-the-fly choices as to changes, randomization, etc... so it's not canned, nor is it cheating :)

Phil :)