Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Michael Carlson Music <music@carlsonarts.com> wrote:
Since my looping has been primarily based on narrative lyrical songs
<snip>
I'm trying to envision a way to create short, one-measure loops that can accompany vocal melodies similar to how an arranger keyboard uses "styles."

Umm.. Im not totally sure if Im getting you correctly, but maybe you are talking about a technique, that I sometimes do as an encore (ha ha) at my local café.
But is pretty tricky to pull off..
I just have a pretty regular 4 bar riff (a "turnaround" kinda thing if thats the correct term) and, cos my EDP RECORD button is right next to the er NEXT loop button.. I do this:

REC NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT as I play,
Rec on first note NEXT on second.etc

I have MORE LOOPS set to 4 and SOUND copy to OFF, Oh and Auto Record ON!

Then I get (If lucky- takes some practice) one chord PER loop... (I have to admit its more like 4 chord hits before a chord change, 16 hits, 4 per loop) So now I can double stamp NEXT to jump the next loop, and therfore play a new chord sequnce.. If you are real quick, you can hit NEXT 3 times  on every loop, and reverse the chord sequence..  The fun part is now to overdub onto thses bits and then the chord chnages sound real nice.

One little trick is to step thru the chords turning OVERDUB ON, and then solo, while stepping through the loops. after about 3 times round, you have enough stuff, and can start playing the loops in different orders.. and just play over the top..
Its pretty fun..
But mayeb not a technique you would wanna use to put together a Looping "Hey Jude" or a looping "When the Levee breaks"?

And all this is possible on Mobius too..

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com