Re: Live Looping without "organic" instruments.. is it live looping, "MUSIC" inside (regarding a recent debate)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Anders Bergdahl
<anders_e_bergdahl@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm interesting Matt, some thoughts.. i imagined that the issue would be
> "live" since i do not play an instrument..

But you do! Isn't the Octatrack an instrument? Seems so to me at least.

> The difference is basically that loopers sample in a manner similar to
> tape
> loops while a sampler usually don't try to mimic and old manipulated tape
> recorder

I think that's a too harsh generalization! There not much similar to
tape loop manipulation in this looping performance:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4963264/glitchdub_flute_solo.mp3
Well, maybe cut-up tape techniques, but in Mobius here there is no
smooth speed shift as with tape since the looper quantizes to half
notes (he, he... try doing that with a tape loop)

And both the big classics, the EDP and the Repeater, differ a lot from
the tape idiom. But I would agree that the tape loop context is a
little bit closer if looking at the Roland loopers.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen