Re: Roland GR55 - First Impressions review

I do and I have one.  They're 80's sounds.  I like it for some things but I wouldn't necessarily buy it now.  Great chimey FM kinds of stuff, good breathy stuff.

I started to write a reply to this and here's where I left off...

The Kawaii K1 isn't bad at all.  I have kept mine.  No good drums etc.  Nice bell tones, breathy stuff, late 80s kind of tones.
In general I would say VI is the way to go for good drums sounds, but I haven't explored all the possibilities.

The Steven Slate Drums are used on plenty hit records, for what that's worth.   I have 'em and they are very very good for clean, fat, real drum sounds.
I also still have the Proteus 3/World module that has some kind of cool 'world' drums and sounds.  Used to use it a lot.

Has anyone used Maschine for any of this?  I'm thinking of getting one for inputting MIDI data.  I suspect it might come with a fair stash of drum sounds, but don't know yet and am going to investigate.  The Steven Slate drums will work with this.

(One reason I didn't send this is I wasn't sure you had asked about drums but in my foggy memory there was some reason I wrote this...)

In Pro Tools I use Strike (for drums) quite a bit.  Kind of tedious to customize patterns, but good sounds and usable loops to modify.  I want Maschine to input drum patterns.  Tired of doing it with keyboards.

The, I think it's called B33 that comes with Pro Tools, or used to, or maybe I bought it, has wonderful B3 sounds.  Structure, that uses sounds from East West, has some good Farfisa type samples.  At least I think it's Structure.  In general, VI is ultimately the cheapest and lightest path to all of this.  I would assume Logic has a lot of this stuff built in, but, again, I am clueless about Logic.

I often dream of a great, tasty drummer with V Drums that can be hired (or charmed) to track MIDI data.

----- end of morning reply -----

I write many replies to loopers that never make it to the group because I either assume I'm being an arrogant jerk or that someone else will reply more cogently.

I wouldn't buy it unless you want those cool 80s sounds.  I keep mine because I'm used to it and might need it to recreate old work and $50 ain't worth the effort. I would figure out some kind of VI deal.  Like that box that plays samples who's name I can't remember.  Not cheap but looks cool.  Only VST, though, I think.  I've read about many ways to convert sounds from format to format.  Never bothered, myself.

I've seen Super Jupiters fairly cheap.  And the Roland MKS70 (super JX), which I have, which is fairly fat.   With the programmer it's easier to use, I've heard.

Hope this helps,