Re: WHY - multiply?

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> The best "anti-Multiply" example I know is: Ableton Live clips/scenes.
> When you have a bunch of parallel loops, all synced to each other, you
> hardly ever miss Multiply (except unrounded Multiply).

Do you mean that you can achieve the same by adding another parallel
loop clip that you make longer? That's correct, you can even revers
all looping clips on a scene just as handy as if they were layers of
the same (multiplied) loop.

But I still stick with Mobius in Live rather than recording clips. But
I guess I would think different if doing pre composed material like
for example Kid Beyond (die-hard Live user).

A personal take:
I just love the open feeling of playing free improvisation with live
looping techniques and I think that this future-wide-open attitude
rubs off emotionally on the audience in a positive way. Can't explain
how it works, but I really have a strong feeling of that happening. I
get the same feeling when listening to recordings of the sixties'
"spiritual free jazz" artists (Sanders, Coltrane, Dolphy and more).
It's "something collective" that "opens up" and it doesn't happen if
arrangements are too rigid or clips can't be mangled on-the-fly. The
Gospel of Looping? LOL ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com