Re: OT: 24Bit/96Khz vs 16Bit/ 44.1Khz recording

Yes there is good reason.  There are many, including archiving for possible upgrades in hi res players of the future and in the event you should ever need the higher res surround DVD format, but most important is, the higher the quality of the initial recording, the better the mp3 or 16/44.1 will sound.

I think 24/44.1 sounds terrific and use that a lot for tracking.

If you're recording gorgeous solo acoustic guitar stuff, 24/88.1 is good.

I use Bias Peak to convert to lower res.

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard this one:

is terrific because you can HEAR or audition what's being thrown out in down sampling.  It's by the fine folks of Fraunhofer who brought us mp3 in the first place.

All of this has been flamed and argued so much it's best to put on your asbestos suit when approaching the topic.