Fwd: The Apollo Project // New York Guitar Festival opening night

Title: Fwd: The Apollo Project // New York Guitar Festival openin
Free event Friday the 6th in Lower Manhattan...!

                        Apollo Projections and Manipulations: filmmaker Craig Teper reveals a lifelong interest in Brian Eno and space on the eve of the New York Guitar Festival's Apollo Project

                                I've been listening to Brain Eno's work long enough to have repurchased it going on four times now, from vinyl to iTunes, and to have consumed Eno's writings, methods and ideas long enough for them to be foundational in my own work. Though old enough to have heard those original recordings at 33 1/3 rpm upon release, I was born after the first moon landings. The massiveness of that achievement was a forgone conclusion in my lifetime, rather than a televised event experienced life as the world shrunk to a smaller size inside that box. NASA's Apollo program had the effect of bringing the world together and reducing the relative size of our cosmic neighborhood. More than a decade later, for me at least, Eno's Apollo album managed to expand the scope of music, the connection between art and science, and the possibility of _expression_ in the face of rapid technological change.

                                The exploration of space has always had a strong pull for me. Chalk it up to a childhood of repeat veiwings of Star Wars, committed to memory with an almost religious fervor, endless games of Space Invaders or early morning live shuttle launches on television, often delayed and picked up again on the black and white TV at school. Somehow in the ubiquitous retelling of the Apollo myth the mystery and wonder had been bleed dry. Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins' Saturn V rocket hurdled toward the moon over and over again each day in MTV's original broadcast identity package. Books, interviews, documentaries and news reports of the time seemed fixated on scientific and engineering prowess, rather than the strangeness and majesty of leaving the confines of home and standing on another world. On Apollo Soundtracks and Landscapes Brian Eno, Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois' noises and compositions cut through the cold war nationalism and number crunching of the space race and showed us the darkness and mystery that was always there if you wanted to see it.

                                For the past several years I have been working on my own version of that cause, pursuing a film on the life of Apollo Lunar Module Pilot Edgar Mitchell. Of the twelve military pilots who stepped foot on that land beyond earth, Mitchell alone embodies the wonder, possibility and humanity of that singular moment. His experiences in space, withMan their potential to unlock human consciousness, stand apart from official NASA doctrine as starkly as Eno's music does from the drab news broadcasts of Apollo. For this New York Guitar Festival performance, I have assembled a few short peeks at this film, Man In The Right Seat, as a glimpse into the life and mind of Edgar Mitchell and the hidden dimensions of Apollo. To compliment this live remaining of a landmark record, I have also processed and manipulated some of the footage that serves as our official record of the moon missions, in an effort to expand the dimension and mystery of the images as Eno had done musically almost 30 years ago.

                        - Craig Teper

                        img-ak.verticalre/73DA3E0C.jpg

                        EVENT DETAILS:  "The Apollo Project," a celebration and live re-imagining of "Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks," Brian Eno's landmark 1983 musical tribute to the NASA moon landings. This will be a rare live performance of this masterpiece featuring the Brooklyn ambient ensemble Itsnotyouitsme, acclaimed New York guitar master Larry Campbell, Jeff Parker from Tortoise, Mike Gordon from Phish, Noveller, David Torn and other special guests. This concert is a FREE concert at the World Financial Center's Winter Garden, in lower Manhattan across the street from the World Trade Center site, on Friday, January 6, at 8pm.  More info about the venue: (212) 417-7000  www.artsworldfinancialcenter.com

                         newyorkguitarfestival.org

Click to view this email in a browser

New York Guitar Festival
57 Main Avenue