Re: Re: Liking/Disliking your own music

Thanks for another fantastic post, Richard.
There is much wisdom in this one.

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, richard sales wrote:
Love this thread and the responses so far.

It's like war. If you stop to think too much, you die; you become careless in your over thinking and raise your head above the foxhole to look for an answer... you daydream and reveal your position to the enemy in the trees.

Kaboom!

The best solution is to see it all as a gift. The bad sessions improve us and the good sessions approve us. Both are needed, like notes and the silence between them.

What throws it all off is that, when we start out in music, we are Mozart, Hendrix, Dylan, Lennon and John Cage (even though we only know three chords and have one ardent fan). We are billionaires and love everything we do. That sets a bad precedent and expectation for when the buzz wears off and we see a balding grey haired fat button pusher staring back out of the mirror who knows well the difference between our skills and those of Mozart and Hendrix.

I think with time we learn better to sort of accept what comes. Accept the gift and not look a gift horse in the mouth. It may be a show horse, race horse or work horse. May be worth a million or 500 dollars. Either way, the horse has value. Then we learn to use the gift as it is for what it is.

All of the replies about zen mind and the woo woo are spot on. Sanity is something we are born with and lose over time. Regaining sanity is not woo woo or new age or spiritual or anything like that. It's just leaving the hall of mirrors and becoming a smart simpleton again.

Miles Davis said, paraphrase, There are no bad notes, it's the notes that follow that make them bad.

There are no bad sessions! It's our reactions, the note that follows, that determines the value of any event, session, performance, recording etc.

This is especially true now that we all own our own studios and are not paying $75-$300 per hour for a horse!

There are ways to train our minds to become sane again. They are all like playing an instrument. Doesn't happen overnight, although some will try to sell you that snake oil.

Just stay with it and enjoy, make the most of all of it. That's the best any of us can do.

Or, more simply put, as guitar avatar Roy Buchannan said to me 30 some years ago, "Just relax!"

... a terrific Zen koan!