Re: Creating Space

When improvising, I find that I create space more effectively if I focus
primarily on the tapping of the foot- giving a great deal of cognitive
priority to the pulse.  A singluar and humbling focus.

When so doing, musical  phrases seem to come from beyond..  The part of me
that needs to prove something is firmly bridled to the job of keeping a
steady pulse in my body no matter what syncopations the hands and voice
may produce.  What remains is a more sparse, better phrased and more
conversational musician... the groove is better integrated into the
improvised phrases.  And the listener is drawn more deeply into the music
by the space between the notes.  At least, thats what I shoot for.

Daniel