Re: Playing Beatpads (mpd, mpc etc.)

Very interesting point. I'll have to check out those links.

On Jan 11, 2012 4:25 PM, "Matt Davignon" <mattdavignon@gmail.com> wrote:
This reminds me - the other day I stumbled upon a series of videos
showing exercises for mpc style samplers. Here's the first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEpLD6vD43E
They are very similar to the left/right exercises that percussion
teachers would have you practice. The early ones are simple. By the
time you get to #16, they're really impressive.

Also, here's a guy who is really proficient on live drum machine. I'm jealous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oThXwURLLhs

Some things I've noticed but haven't developed further:
1) Since drum machines / mpc samplers are such small interfaces, one
of the challenges is arranging the sounds so that your hands can play
them without getting in each others' way.
2) The one time I ever got close to ever being able to hand play beats
on a drum machine, I found that using one hand was much easier than
using two. Rick told me this great percussion concept for left/right
independence once - at any point in a rhythm, you're either playing
left hand, right hand, both or neither. That concept is pretty easy to
incorporate with a single hand. Each sound corresponds with a downward
hand tap, and it's mostly a matter of extending the correct fingers.
The downside is that you can only play so fast with one hand, and that
hand'll eventually get tired.
3) Conventional drum machine arrangements put the bass drum in the
lower left corner, high hats in the lower right, cymbals on the upper
row and toms/claps, etc in the middle. This makes it easy to remember
which sounds are rare, but is not necessarily the most efficient
arrangement playing them live. Some of the impressive sampling folks
and "finger percussionists" I've seen online put the bass drum in the
middle pads, and arrange the rest based on the ergonomics of the human
hand. Think of the computer keyboard - instead of alphabetical order,
it's arranged so that the most commonly used keys are in the places
where the fingers naturally rest.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com