OT Rick Walker "How Rhythm Works' free lecture at UCSC, Friday, 20th

OT but peripheral to live looping and especially arrangment:

I've been asked to give a 'free to the public' lecture at the University of California at Santa Cruz on the Universal Nature of Rhythm this coming Friday, January 20th.

I'll cover how to understand how it affects us; how to understand it theoretically and how to use a very simple universal system that wlll help us compose, arrange and improvise in any musical tradition on the planet.

The lecture is free to the public and will be at 131 Music Centre, UCSC from 4:15 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

January 16-22, 2012

This Week in Music
LECTURE-WORKSHOP
"How Rhythm Works"
by Rick Walker

Friday, January 20 , 2012
4:15-6:00 p.m.
131 Music Center

Mr. Walker will present how rhythm works universally and how you can use it musically; utilizing simple lay ideas from neurophysiology and perceptual theory. He will give simple examples of how rhythms affect the nervous system and a universal systemic approach to understanding how to hear and write rhythms. Then, he will demonstrate how you can use this system in improvisation, arrangement, and composition and how this universal system applies to different global paradigms of rhythm.

Admission: Free