Filter or Phasing effect in dance music

I often hear this effect in dance music where the put some sort of filter or phasing on the entire mix and it rises slowing...sounds almost like an evolving high pass filter or maybe a phasor.  Anyone know how to do this?   It usually builds up over a duration of 8-16 measure and then drops out immediately on the down beat.
I don't have a sound clip on hand, but it is a VERY common device used in dance music in discos and dance clubs.