Re: Ebow use

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM, joy_top top <joy_top@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Even though an Ebow will work on many instruments with steel strings, I
> much
> prefer using one in the location right over a pickup and find the
> locating
> grooves on the bottom problematic with instruments of different string
> spacing.

It seems different instruments react very different to ebow playing.
Most of my guitars tend to sound too loud if positioning the ebow
right over the pickup. I rather prefer to keep the ebow somewhere
about two cm from the neck pickup. My fav sweet spot is the position
where the string starts playing the moment I push it down with my left
hand's finger. That way you can at least be a little rhythmically
accurate (although rhythm is not the strongest side of a classic ebow
tone... LOL ). Here's an example clip where I try doing some phrasing
on a fretless guitar using such "sweet spot" ebow positioning in my
playing:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4963264/water_plateaux.mp3

On Chapman Stick I can't even make a string vibrate with the ebow.
String spacing is too close on a STick, like you are saying in your
post. Maybe the metal housing of the Stick pickups also kind of
shields them off from the ebow?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com