Re: OT -if you release a digital album and no one hears it does it make a sound? (CD Baby)

CDBaby is very helpful, and probably one of the better ways to handle
digital distribution. They are very supportive of independent artists.
They also have a great partnership with Disc Makers and make it
incredibly easy to design and order CDs, DVDs, stickers, etc. In terms
of value, CDBaby is hard to beat.

Tunecore.com is another way to go. CDBaby is a bit more proactive in
communicating with their customers, but both services distribute to a
nearly identical list of stores and streaming services. Tunecore
doesn't do physical distribution, but they track all earnings from
streaming services and give you a very detailed breakdown of all
sales.

I also recommend BandCamp.com. They don't distribute to other stores,
but it's great service, and they let you completely design and brand
your page and even use a custom domain. You'll have to do more leg
work in promoting your music, but you have more control and can easily
choose whichever price you like (even free). Plus their embed widgets
are clean and fast and their Facebook integration is nice.

Now for iTunes. Everybody wants to be in iTunes because it adds a
sense of legitimacy to your music. Your mileage may vary. It can be
hard to make headway if you don't have a big label or other source of
endless promotion and funding. But, if you ONLY distribute to iTunes
and concentrate all your effort there, you could fair much better.

I took the approach of getting my music into every online outlet I
could. Any place that lets me list and sell my tracks, I signed up. In
hindsight, I probably should dial it back a little. It may be better
to focus your effort on just a few sites, so you get better return on
your promotional efforts.

Just my 2 cents,

- James

CDBaby - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamescollin