Re: Re: More flexible electronic music setup

On 5/23/12 11:11 PM, Johannes Korn wrote:
Rat doesn't work too well for use with a synthesizer (your mileage may vary). I love to use a Big Muff for that.
I second this recommendation and also concur with Matt about his Digitech DF-7 Distortion
Factory.

In the distortion world for guitarists, there are many fantastic solutions for fuzz, distortion, overdrives and feedback pedals and I think most serious guitarists would probably look down their respective noses at the few muti-distortion pedals that feature digital models of famous distortion boxes (Ibanez Tube Screamer, EH Big Muff, Pro Co Rat, Dunlop Fuzz Face, etc.) but Digitech and Boss's two distortion modellers are particularly effective for use on keyboard sounds, precisely because they have a huge variety of sounds.

I have all the famous historical distortions and fuzzes in my collection and can say that the digital models are not perfect, but I far prefer them when I am effecting human voice, any kind of mic-ed acoustic
sounds or keyboard sounds for their sheer versatility.

The Digitech DF-7 even has all of it's models arranged from the most low midrangey sounding to the most trebly sounding so you can use the model switcher to do very hip sweeps of distortion from mid to highs with a very cool little discreet square wave of silence thrown in between each sound for glitch-tastic fun.

And, as Johannes points out, some of these distortion stomp box pedals actually don't sound good on keyboards (notably the Pro Co Rat which is a wonderful distortion pedal for guitar).

Finally, the best distortion sounds I've ever heard was at a recent Wire concert. His sound design was
just amazing and extremely varied throughout the night.

I went up to check out his rack of pricey botique pedals and was astonished to see a
Line 6 XL multi effects pedal board as his ONLY effects.

He just go in there with his digital distortions and customized the crap out of them. It sounded amazing. So, use your ears with whatever you end up using and you'll find
some good stuff in most pedals.

Rick Walker