Re: Re: Recommendations for a new loop pedal...

On 7/11/12 10:56 AM, F_Anile wrote:
Hi Siobahn,
My advice is: set up your macbook pro and go for Mobius software.
Based on the EDP architecture it has 8 stereo looping tracks (that you can easily mute and trigger on the fly) plus many many useful options (track and MIDI configurations and scripts, to name a few).
This is good advice but because I don't use Mobius, I have a question about it's efficacy for Siobahn's specific needs and a bit of additional advice (all with great respect to Fabio, who knows what he's talking about).

Fabio, will Mobius save pre-recorded loops (like drum loops) that you load in and play live as Siobahn mentioned?
I wasn't aware that it had that capability but you know it and I don't.

Also, it should probably be good to mention that Siobahn may have to do a clean install of the Macbook Pro to install Mobius as, to my knowldege, one can only run it on a Windows Operating System and not Mac OSX. That hasn't
changed has it?

When I looked into it last, you actually have to do a clean install in order to set up a dual boot system on a Macbook Pro.

You will also need dedicated Midi pedals ($150 USD on upwards) and a dedicated break out box with a sound card that also has Midi I/O ($100 upwards to $1500) to control Mobius which, itself, is free.

Another possible solution that is not as sophisticated but is also a lot less complicated. The next iteration of the Looperlative LP-2 Mini looper (which had a very, very rocky start but which finally in it's final beta testing stage) will have storage of 8 loops on an SD card (so one can bring multiple SD cards to a performance and load in 8 songs at a time, virtually instantaneously for mono playback only. It has the footprint of a DL-4 by line 6 (essentially two normal sized stomp boxes), runs on 6 AA batteries or regular walwart AC and has a slew of other features (which have been iterated on this forum too many times already). It's street price is $300 USD.