Re: OT: Tangerine Dream

Sorry to drift even further OT with this one, but I support criticism! I think it's totally fine to say, "(blank's) music is shit", as long is you're not just saying it to make (blank) feel bad. It's better to give reasons why the music is shit, but in the case of TD, reasons why a bunch of us don't like the newer stuff were already discussed.

There could be a good conversation about "the struggle for relevancy among aging musicians" - not as a dig against olds, but it's a fascinating phenomenon. Many rock and electronic musicians do their best work in their 20s and early 30s, then as they get older, either the music tastes change, or the musicians tone down the elements that a lot of their audiences like. Meanwhile, occasional musicians like Tom Waits do their best work when they're older. The common theme I'm picking up is finding YOUR OWN thing and taking the time to explore it fully.

I think a lot about how my music might sound to people 20 or 30 years from now. If Tangerine Dream kept doing their 70s space music in the 80s and 90s, audiences would have drifted away from them at the time, but their fans now would love those records.

I'm not saying that musicians shouldn't change and grow, but I think we've seen enough now to be mindful about not getting swept up in things that are only going to be popular for a couple of years. I almost cried when I heard a Klause Schulze record from the 90s that sounded like standard 4-on-the-floor techno!

Btw, when you guys say TG, are you talking about Tangerine Gream? Because TG is Throbbing Gristle to me.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com