RE: Octatrack vs Ableton Live quick help

@ Anders:
I like your track :)
I can suppose there was a previous thinking and rehearsing? I mean, that can't be 100% jam/improvisation, right? And, did you have prerecorded samples or all the sounds are created in real time?

In this moment as you can see on my link with my experiments few mails ago, I also do some slow loops. And I will always do.
But I also would like things a bit more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4bZaLMsIQ&feature=related
Ok, not LIKE this, because I would create my own samples in real time on stage, and I will use a lot my voice for that. Still, yes, I am obsessed with techno/minimal/electro in this moment.
And, believe me, you can NOT do that with a Boomerang.

About the OT, can you please be a bit more specific about "looper and recorder"? Recorder is a function of the Octa or an external tool? I have not clear this of re-sampling to a recorder to trig the loop on the sequencer.

Thanks

@ Per:
Your name reminds me so much of Peer Gynt.

I wanted Ableton for music production and OT for livelooping.
The problem started when I discovered that Ableton can be a wonderful livelooper.
I am not able to determine which would fit better my needs as livelooper.
Above you saw a link of a guy using the Novation Launchpad with Ableton. I am not sure if you can use it also to record loops or just to play already existing (and loaded) samples.
But it looks very cool to have so many different tracks/loops at same time, isn't it?

You said "The hardest DSP is time-stretching and pitch-shifting.". As far as I understood, with OT I can do that to a single loop while it stays synced to the other loops. Am I wrong?

I have a Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface. Should be enough. Well, my notebook is not very good. But later maybe.

Anyway you almost convinced me to buy the OT.

I have known the Reactable lately. Not what I need. Luckily (10000 euro??? Sti cazzi!). Still, I love the concept of havind all the sounds as little objects which you can put there.
In my mind I have lot of sounds (I have chosen "I think sounds" as my art name). When I do a looping session I have these sounds in my mind, lot of different sounds which I would like to be able to control separately (something which you cannot do normally with the overdubbed layers in a conventional looper). I want to combine them, tweak them, stretch them, mute them, rearrange them, re-sample them, make so that in one moment what was just a part of one of many loops becomes a minimal solo and I start to add new things on it, for then coming back to the old melody.
That's what I want to do.

In this moment I am worried for my bank account because I feel that it is possible that there are things I cannot do so good with just ableton as with OT, so I will probably have to buy both.
I still have the boomerang. And a Microsampler. And a Kaoss Pad 3.
Should I sell them and buy the Octa? :)

Thanks for the help.