RE: Repetition

> From: philip.ojc@gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 19:05:40 +0900
> I enjoy listening to repetitive loops because I can usually expect that the performer will be adding a bit here and there and/or is ultimately working toward some kind of goal or an ending.
>
> If a performer just looped the same bar over and over, it would be boring to me. Even a complex one--as soon as I got my head around it, I would be wanting and waiting for them to work with it or develop it in some way or another.

William Basinski pulls it off amazingly. Same loop, but somehow I seem to get lost in time. I think there are subtle changes being made to the loop as it progresses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFWme9D6LkQ

Getting a solid loop down is special, but I think once we begin breaking it down, expanding it, and allowing it to morph NATURALLY, repetition is beautiful. Not to get egotistical or anything, but I think it takes a very appreciative individual to enjoy loops like the one above. When I play this stuff around the house (where one usually listens to "this kind of music") my family is like, "WTF IS THIS CRAP!" They listen to a lot mainstream radio so it ain't much of a surprise.

Looping = Zen, BUT, his story repeats itself. LOOP wisely lol