Re: What Looper to use for syncing with other loopers/samplers/computers

Rick Walker wrote:
eib halimski asked:
I've heard of 'midi clocking' that can sync multiple loopers but what do i know, haven't tried any of them. sorry i'm not of any help. having 2 units of echoplex (or more i think) is a much easier option but costs a bit more

Hi Rick,
tell us more 'bout the LP2 :-)

I'm a bit surprised at your EDP comparison though.
I guess it's not intentional, but what you say here reads
as if the LP2 is like an EDP with a few addition features thrown in.

EDP >> Complex bit of rack-mount kit with Menus that unlock features many
of which
      are unavailable in *any* other looping device or software.

LP2 >> Elegantly simple stomp box which combines the features which live
loop artists most
        need/request with a couple 'off the wall' twists.

The real advantage of the LP2 is that everything it does (apart from the
multiple loops)
is easily accessible without a learning curve.

In this instance I think the Looperlative LP1 should be mentioned as an
alternative.
It achieves sync of up to 8 (stereo) loops without re-course to midi-sync..
....and as we know, midi sync *isn't* anywhere near ideal due to the
limits of the midi protocol.

There's a real advantage to syncing loops if it can be done within one
device,
and the LP1, while neither cheap nor easy to find, is simply the best
solution for multiple tracks.

The new Looperalative LP-2 Mini Looper has robust Midi synchronization.
With two of them hooked up; whichever looper starts automatically becomes the master for the other
and vice versa).

...??? wow :-)
midi sync does not usually work like that!
(EDP does it by something called Brother Sync)

Is that achieved using two midi cables?

At a streetprice of $300 (USD), two of the units would probably much cheaper than buying 2 used echoplexes.

undoubtedly.

Or maybe for Eib a single stomp box looper with 2 loops would
be more cost effective?

On top of that, the fidelity is better,

From your previous descriptions of what *your* EDP sounds like, I
wonder if it is faulty. Perhaps needs reseating of the memory chips.

EDP was good enough for Eberhard Weber to make an ECM album,
...I don't think it has the fidelity problems which you have mentioned
in the past.
with creation of up to 8 loops (stored immediately on an SD card),

still at 12bit? or was that fixed in the latest upgrade?

addition of ≈ to the echoplexes 1/2 speed, 30 levels of undo, feedback (with automatic undo points set at every 15% reduction), and these additional added features:

the below are all features of the EDP apart from
Quarter Speed
and
Random Re-Trigger

1) Half Speed (Double Speed at half bandwidth)
2) Quarter Speed (Quadruple Speed at quarter bandwidth - artifacty but very hip for special effects)
3) Retrigger (one shot)
4) Retrigger (continuous)
5) Retrigger (random)
6) Replace
7) Quantized Replace (equivalent to SUS = SUB in the echoplex or Q-Replace in the LP-1) in these potential time signatures: 4/4 (8ths, 16ths, triplet 8ths, triplet 16ths), 7/8, 9/8, 10/8 (5/4)
and the addition of 1/64ths for glitch effects)

as I understand it you missed a couple ;-)

for LP2 (and EDP) add
8) Stop/Start 9) Feedback control by expression pedal (at long last available in a stomp box!)

for LP2 alone add
10) non-volatile loop memory for last 8 recorded loops

andy butler

Rick Walker