Re: Tips and Tricks of Gear Organization

Hi Kevin

yeah... it's soo tempting to shift up your gear...
There really comes a point where you _have_ to make a conscious choice if
you are devoted to being a techie/gear geek or a musician/artist. Now, I
hear all these people screaming: but you can be both! Well, to be honest,
I can't. Because I can either focus on optimizing my musical/artistic
expression (thus, living with whatever gear I have) or I can focus on
optimizing my gear/setup (thus, accepting a steady state artistically).

While I'm tempted and love tweaking gear (hardware, software) - currently
I'm just happy throwing out any computer/electronic gear, grabbing a
simple instrument - or even better: just pen & paper.

But getting back to your original question. Personally, I see three
different settings with differenty - but possibly overlapping -
requirements:
1.)Studio/Home Setup:
Everything should be wired ready, able to fire up instantly, supporting
your natural workflow smoothly. High performance, enjoy working with.
2.) Mobile Setup (taking to friends/jams):
As simple, portable as possible, quick setup. Able to carry in backpack,
public transport. Fun, less (gear) is more.
3.) Stage/Gig Setup:
Robust, reliable, flexible/fixable when necessary. Able to carry yourself
(several steps), fits in car. Beer-proof, idiot-proof. Works for
monitoring, FOH guy, PA, band etc. Able to control in dark/dim light.

Of course, in the long run, you might be better of with a powerful laptop
- which you could use for all three setup purposes.

For your mobile and gig setup, you should also practice - just like
practicing an instrument - setting up everyting. Optimize your setup steps
(maybe write them down) and make it a habit to stick to them each time.

I also recommend practicing with your gear in pitch black darkness. This
way, you really get a feeling for your gear.

Final thing: I wouldn't use electric tape on cables, get's really
messy/nasty when you take it of after 2 years. I'd use simple plastic
cable binders instead.

Good luck and enjoy your music!
Buzap