Re: Re: Realistic drum programming/recording for songs

Some less than accurate information has slipped through lately, so
please allow me to chime in with humble corrections.

>> Rick Walker wrote:
>>
>>> 1)  Midi only has 127 increments of velocity.

128 are the steps for so called Continuous Control data. 128 steps is
used for example when turning a knob or pushing a fader. Or to measure
how fast a note is attacked (Velocity).

> On 2/5/2013 1:07 AM, andy butler wrote:
>>
>> As I understand it there's also limits to timing accuracy

128 steps has nothing to do with timing of MIDI Notes. Note resolution
can vary on different platforms, but in Logic that I am working in
right now, the resolution for each quarter note is 960 steps. For one
bar that gives 3840 steps, "1/3840". Timing resolution for audio is
sample accurate, which means for my current project that there are
48.000 steps within a second where a recording can be. The mixer in
Logic works at a 32bit floating point resolution; I can't calculate
the exact resolution of that but it must be many thousand times higher
than MIDI.

>> and the need to play along to a click track when recording.
>>
>> andy

There's no need for that, you may use a MIDI sequencer just as a tape
recorder if you like.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote

> Each software package has different latencies.

Generally there are no MIDI latency at all in software. MIDI keyboards
and MIDI control pedals can have quite a lot of latency though. There
is also an issue to understand with audio latency, but I think we are
talking MIDI in this thread aren't we?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com