Re: Triple play again

On 2015-01-07 01:51, In Mobile wrote:
No, it's not my assumption, it's my reasoning.
Were I to follow the DSP experts then the limit is firmly set
at one period.

Basically you can't measure something before it's happened.

Indeed.
Not sure though the note extraction is that quick. I do indeed
remember also that Axon/terratec stuff did extract pitch information
from the transient, then confirming/following using conventional pitch
to midi. I *seeem* to remember the best tracking at the time meant a
processing time of about 15ms.

I don't believe it's been mentioned yet (unless this is what Andy is referring to by transient), but I seem to remember part of the "trickery" that was employed by the Axon system was that the fundamental frequency was first guessed based upon only *half* the waveform -- either baseline to peak, or baseline to trough.

Of course, depending upon the waveform shape, that could possibly place you pretty far off pitch, which is one reason they would then have to correct. It's probably another place where there's always room for improvement in the algorithm.

I've discussed this with Bill Walker and I think he'd agree that the
future
lies in using the pitch info to control effects that work on the
audio from the string.
e.g. filter frequency tracking note

But then VG8/88/99 use pitch info and dynamics to run elaborate
filters.
Provided you like them, this things offer a whole new world of guitar
driven synthesis.
(still use a 99 and sometimes a 8)

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm still a huge fan of the VG-series synthesis, and use it far more than I do any MIDI tracking device (and considering I've still got my Yamaha G-10 -- which nothing this side of a Synthaxe will track faster -- I think that's saying quite a bit). I still find brilliant new things to inspire me every time I fire up my 99's. :)

     --m.