logic problem

Hi, Im still using Logic Pro 9... no reason to change...
today I got some quirky shit. main one was that when in the paino roll, dragging notes up and down DID NOT play them, OR mouse clicking the vertical piano.. the saome.. silence!!
The notes play once dropped, but its almost totally unusable.

I also had trouble stopping the song at one stage, it was locked inside 2 loop points and would not stop, no matter HOW hard I hit the space bar.. and I hit it VERY HARD after a while! Mouse clicking the stop button didn't work.. the only kind of clicking that worked was the FORCE QUIT kind of clicking... and frankly that sucked having just played a sensitive and emotionally difficult piano track...
... ok I lied about the piano part.. it was just some random atmos noise i was contructing out of a few layers... anyway.. lost it...

Any Ideas? Have Apple put a timer on old versions? Note... I have not upgraded to El Crapitan... no way this machine would handle that... my laptop was killed by taht crap... Yep.. This computer has been running Logic fine for years... with this OS... So Ideas?

Mark