Re: Drugs+music: Off topic?

Mark-

That was a nice post!  By that i mean, that my experiences closely mirror
yours....

My first experience with hallucinogenics was amongst the top 3 experiences
of my life thus far.  It was a HUGE door-opener to a whole side of myself
that family/society/government had insisted wasn't there and that i should
repress.  For me, it was a life-changing event that i'm glad that i stumbed
onto.  Since then, my interests have veered into meditation, shamanism,
"primitive" cultures, out-of-body travel, LOOPING, etc.  Those interests
would've likely remained dormant without some HELP.

That being said, the experience surely ain't for everyone, not everyone's
nervous systems can handle the experience safely.  Nor does "everyone" end
up in a gutter.  BEWARE of words like "true" and "always" and "everyone",
every single being is going thru their own thing and needs different
things.  Those who lost their way, many times will have lost the original
meaning of what drew them to the experience initially, and are drawn to the
"escape from reality" factor of drugs.  Others can neither confirm nor
deny,
because theirs is a different experience.

Today, drugs rarely factor in.  As Mark said, once you know the road is
there, its easier to get there without a bushwacker!  My life is richer and
fuller for being made aware of those other dimensions.  However, even
recently, i re-stumbled onto the psychedelic experience, after a long
layoff, and the experience was quite similar (in terms of impact) to the
original one.  Years spent day-gigging and being polite, and sitting in
meetings has a dulling effect for me, which an evening on the "other side"
can reverse and re-orient oneself in a hurry!

As to why a large portion of music was made under the influence of a drug,
here's my take:
For me "good music" means "timeless music".  It means that its music that i
can go back to years later and have it still mean something (other than a
reconnection with the "good ol' days").  Drugs can lift you out of time, so
you can relate to the cosmos in a more intimate way, with fewer inhibitions
and a whole different view.  You can "see" connections that you couldn't
see
before, play things you "couldn't" play before and relate to yourself and
others in a way that's outside your "normal" setting.  You can essentially
go out of the normal frame, uncover something, find some meaning in it and
bring these revelations back into time. (words aren't very good for this,
email even less so...)  I'd liken it to the Hero's Journey from Joseph
Campbell.  To me, the creation of music is the "bringing back to society"
part of that Hero's Journey.  You've made important discoveries and
connections "out there" and now that you've made them, its your job to
translate them into the everyday realm.  Good music does this for me.  It
carries me outside of myself, brings forth the ecstatic experience with me,
and then, drops me back in the everyday.  The best music and musicians, i
believe, are intimately aware of those "other realms".

To me, the "best" music reveals itself to me over time.  First, it might be
the lyrics.  Then, after a few listenings, the interaction between the
bassline and the lyrics might be what grabs me...  Suddenly, the whole
bassline/drums interaction is "the thing".  And so on...  Its the same with
looping.  As you all have described, leaving a "well-constructed" loop run
for hours is a cool thing...  At different times, your awareness will find
different connections and/or synchronicities between different voices in
the
loop.  And then, "that" awareness will fade... and ANOTHER will emerge. And
so on...  These kinds of connections between things become more apparent to
some musicians via trance, meditation, and the ectstatic experience.

I'm rambling.  Hope i made sense....  Your "mall" comments really cracked
me
up!

Regards.