Re: more on Kyma.....

Matthias Grob wrote:

> This is a posting of  Jim Coker <jcoker@interaccess.com> in '97. I just
> stumbeled over it and liked it and since we had talk about this going, I
> repost it.
>
> >> Jim answered me:
>can
> >>
> >> I see... but this I can do on my PCM80, as long as its just
>controlling
> >> parameters of a delay.
> >> I was thinking about the loop specific functions like Tap, Multiply,
>Undo,
> >> or rather sampler type functions like restarting the actual loop or
> >> changing to another loop and so on. Probably those functions will
>have to
> >> be created and I wondered how difficult this might be.
> >
> >Well, there's no tap tempo control that comes with the unit (I asked),
> >but
> >I don't think it would be difficult to build one.  As far as the
> >echoplex-type
> >functions go, it depends on your goal.  If you want to duplicate the
> >interface
> >of an echoplex, you can probably do it, but I can't say how difficult it
> >would
> >be, and I don't think it would be the best way to approach loop
> >programming
> >with Kyma.  Since you can have a large number of loops and samplers
> >running
> >at once, and there are numerous controls available on them, some of the
> >metaphors
> >that apply with the echoplex don't make much sense.  For example,
> >multiply
> >on the echoplex affects the original loop, whereas on Kyma, I would be
> >more
> >likely to achive a similar result by adding a new, concurrent loop whose
> >time is a multiple of the first.  This would leave the original loop
> >available
> >for individual processing.  Of course, everyone has their own preference
> >about
> >how such features should be configured, but a big part of Kyma is that
> >the
> >user has many options on how to organize things.

> >> also available on PCM70/80

> >> Interesting. This could certainly be used to colour and modulate
>loops. And
> >> in this case, the 250ms delay (thats a lot!) could be hidden somehow.

The delay actually varies according to the size of the FFT used by
the analysis.  The FFT size also determines the amount of processing
required. Smaller FFTs can give short enough reponse times for most
players
(10-20ms), though the resynthesis will not be as accurate w/ longer
FFT's.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing that a 512