RE: Disappointed in Hollywood - - to each his own, i suppose: ad dendum

Title: RE: Disappointed in Hollywood - - to each his own, i suppose: ad dendum

> so . . . some further thoughts about this:
>
> 1. how much looping has to be in a performance before it can qualify as
> being advertised on this list? for about a 30-minute performance, i had
> loops going for maybe 7-8 minutes - - very approximate time here. the
tape
> guy was 30+ minutes of all looping, yet was deemed boring . . . is MUSIC
the
> goal or LOOPING? how about one in service of the other? is there some
> delineated way in which one needs to use the tools before it is deemed
> looping?

I don't think any, if it's specified up front.

** explain please.

There's absolutely a certain level of 'take it or leave it' in
any art; you're paying to see someone else's interpretation of art, not
specifically to be entertained.

** yeah.

I don't think this discussion was about 'I
went to the gig, paid my lousy $2 to get in, and all I got was this nasty
ringing in my ears" though that will always be someone's point of view, at
any gig.

** there was a component of that here, but that's cool too.

** this reminds me that i saw the clash two times. the first was one of the best concerts i ever saw (right up there with old and new dreams, jack dejhonette with abercrombie and lester bowie,  and some early mahavishnu stuff); second time i saw them i thought it was absolute crap.

stig