Re: analog delays

> >From the Big Briar site:  "with delay times as short as 40 milliseconds
> to as long as 0.8 seconds"
>
> >From the Blacet site:   "Delays From 10 mS to 2 Seconds"
>
> John may be using a part with a short delay, but if so, he's using more
>of
> them.  At half the price, and twice the delay time, the Blacet module
> sounds like a great deal.  Is there a difference in the audio quality of
> these two units?

I've got the Time machine and have heard something things from the Big
Briar. I don't think it's really accurate to compare times and prices since
IMO they are very different sounding machines as well as having very
different construction. The Big Briar unit is a standalone wooden cased
monster with 1/4" jacks, the Time Machine is a great solid 1/8" modular
synth module. Both offer various CV ins and such but I think they do
slightly different things. at the longer delay times the TM has a *very*
low
resolution. Cool effect but don't expect this to be usable in ever
application. You are not getting a Digital 2 sec delay here, at times you
might not even be able to hear it depending on the other settings and your
source.

That said I decided to buy the Time Machine not only because of cost but
because I wanted a 1/8" module to use with my other modular synth stuff. I
like what it does (hell I like all of John's designs!)

I put up a 4 minute rough demo fo the Time Machine here for anyone
interested in what it can do:
http://legion.retrosynth.com/timem.mp3

This is simply a loop taken from a Doepfer A112 lofi sampler module run
into
the time machine with real time tweaking. The hiss/hum is NOT from the Time
Machine. It is consistently in there and was a buzz added by my mixer
and/or
sound card. My bad but at least you can hear the wackiness of the TM and
see
what it can do. The TM itself is rather quiet IMO.

> Now if only the Time Machine came in one of those cute little floor
> pedals!

Well it does have five CV in's.  Buy any CV floor pedal you wish and go
nuts
controlling the Blacet with your feet.
HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.voicenet.com/~legion
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.