Re: good intentions

>This is a wonderful discussion...
Indeed!

>I suppose that even Cageian (sp?) activities such as rolling dice to
>select
>parts for a performance is *intention*.  After all, it IS a selection
>process.  We might call the composer's judgement into question but not
>his/her intentional efforts.
>
>I like your distinction: "This is Not a definition of what a *music* is-
>it's a definition of what *creating music* is."  But I'm not sure that all
>music is *created* in the sense of *composed*.  In a nutshell, I'll say
>that
>I believe all *composed* music is intentional (or willful) but all music
>is
>not *composed* music.

What if we change the definition from intent on the composer side to intent
on the listener side? i.e, "this is music because I hear it as such," as
opposed to "This is music because i composed it as such." I always loved
Cage's comment (and i am paraphrasing because my copy of Silence is loaned
out at the moment), "Is a cement truck music? Is a cement truck music if it
is driving past a music school?"

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org
New & Improv Media
http://www.newandimprov.com
Now available: Admiral Twinkle Devil: Wabi Dub