Re: Academia [NO LOOPING]

At 12:22 PM -0400 5/23/01, Tom Ritchford wrote:

>Well, I think more and more that I was very lucky to go to a
>Canadian university

I guess I lucked out in most respects, despite going to an American
university (UCSD). In five years of graduate study I had only one
class with a text written by a faculty member, and at was Bob
Erickson's "Sound Structure in Music" which I already had! I also
managed to avoid filling the U's coffers - I even got paid a stipend.
That must be why I'm such a brat.

However, faculty politics were an ongoing hazard and I found myself a
football on occasion. I also experienced the vanishing professor
problem. I was enrolled for private composition studies with a
particular Very Famous Composer for two quarters and met with him
exactly twice. He is now on the faculty at Harvard. Whether he
actually teaches there I don't know.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com