Re: Cage on sounds in your head [another view of tinitus]

A few years back I took a poll of friends and acquaintances (and even this
list) concerning this question; the varied responses I received were quite
interesting.  There are certainly "sourceless" sounds present in the
organism which have nothing to do with ear damage, and I have often
referred
my friends to Cage's observation.  My conclusion is that, apart from
tinitus--which must certainly be very real and problematic for certain
people--there are interior sounds which always exist.  They are probably,
as
Harvard had it, the nervous system and circulatory system--and a few things
else besides.  In very quiet environments I have been able to detect at
least these bands and perhaps also a third which I almost want to describe
as "muscular".  People familiar with meditative practice seem most inclined
to know of these sounds, but even the most quiet and introspective
individuals sometimes profess complete ignorance of them.  It is a bit of a
puzzle.  I even see in myself that at times I hear the sounds and at other
times do not; it depends on where my attention is focused.  If I actively
look for the sound, it is there.  Most curiously: men report the awareness
of this much more often than women!

David Lee Myers