Re: Fripp's Octave Unit?

If memory serves (which it may well not, but anyway that was my
favorite Material title and it came out at about the same era I saw a
Frippertronics show'n'tell at Tower Records in Seattle)-- it's a
custom fuzzbox that perhaps incorporates a full-wave rectifier
circuit for that unusually stable octave-up followed by a more
typical clipper for the square-wavey reediness. Well, at least that
was my assessment at the time, I built an analog fuzz with a
full-wave rectifier in it and a heavy compressor ahead of it, and
sorta kinda got a similar sound.

This probably wasn't very helpful, but I agree it is a very nice
timbre...a friend used to call it the "tone so edgy you can shave
with it".

-Alex S.