RE: echoplex delay mode

At 08:04 AM 9/27/2001, Gary Lehmann wrote:
>This was what I suggested before--I am currently using the PMC-10 with two
>pedal controllers so I can control feedback and volume thru MIDI, and I
>still have the FV-70 pedal I ordered when I purchased the Echoplex, so I
>could use it in delay mode and still have control over loop volume.  What
>other differences are there in delay mode (besides the overdub button
>having
>the opposite function)?
>Gary (looking hard at the PC1600x)

Other than the Overdub button becoming a "hold" button and the pedal
controlling input level to the loop, the only other difference with delay
mode on the EDP is when you mute the loop. In Loop mode, when it is in
mute
the input to the loop is also cut off, so anything you are playing while
the loop is muted will not be added to the loop even if overdub is on. In
delay mode, the input to the delay is open when it is in mute, so new
material is added into the loop even though the output is muted.

This can be interesting when you leave a loop in mute for a while and
play,
then eventually unmute it to hear what has been captured in the loop. We
set it this way at the request of a jazz flute player named Tim Weisberg.
He wanted to be able to improvise a solo freely with the delay output
muted
and feedback at 0, so the delay always held some amount of his solo
trailing behind him. Then when he happened to play something he thought
might be interesting to play a counterpart to, he could just unmute it and
have the previous phrase repeat while he played along. Then he could go
back to mute and continue his solo. If he wanted that phrase to continue
repeating more than once, he could just press "hold" (overdub) to come out
of mute. The trailing portion would then instantly be repeating as long as
he liked. In this way you can basically decide you want something as a
loop
*after* you play it, rather than before! Of course the limitation is the
delay time is fixed to whatever you had it set to beforehand.

kim