Pay attention

> Mark Hamburg wrote:
>
> When the drum machines get turned on,
> the audience stops paying attention.

I think this brings out an interesting point about loop based
performances, and
performances in general.  Stop paying attention to the music, or two what
you're
doing?  Often when we play we show video, or work in conjunction with a
video
artist.  Often I'll play an art opening.  Basically, I don't want people
to pay
attention to me.  If I did, I'd have some sort of Bowiesque stage show,
but that's
not my bag, man.  I didn't even like Loopstock.  I'm much sooner have
people
listen but not watch.  I'm boring to watch.  Come to think of it, all the
performers at Loopstock were boring to watch.  There, I said it.  But not
to me.
Why?  Because I'm interesting in the gear and how it's being used.  I'm an
educated consumer, so I can go, "Oh, I see Bill's using mutlitrack Repeater
looping with it slowed down 50% ooooo interesting...."  The average person
in a
cafe or club could care less.  Band interaction is fun to watch, but most
of us
seem so busy nursing our gear, that gets clouded.  Percussionists (Hi Jon,
Rick!)
are for sure more fun to watch, as they're at least animated.

I played an Oracle Corporate event last month, and the main comment was,
"Oooo
what are you doing with that blue thing?"  They were interested in the
Alesis
AirFX.  Another person said, "Oh, we like acts like this.  We usually have
those
other guys... with the virtual xylophone..."  (Buchela Lightning played by
Chris
Hedges)  Not, "wow, those guys music was great."  Not, "Hey I like the
fact that
you can loop your guitar parts."  They comment on the little motion they
saw, or
the very obvious new technology.

So I say, don't be paid attention to.  Have your music paid attention
to... or
not.  Make an acoustic environment.  Have your music be the star.  That's
what DJs
do.  I've never heard a DJ complain that they weren't being watched.  Why
are we?

Mark Sottilaro