SV: looping with a mic

> >I just had a bit of a revelation by looping for the first
> time with a
> >mic, instead of plugging in my acoustic guitar.  The result
> was great,
> >esp. because it allowed me to easily use other instruments
> (including
> >my voice).  I was even thinking of using a stereo pair and recording
> >parts from different positions to place them in the stereo field.
> >
> >However, the leaking of the monitored signal into the mic became a
> >problem at one point, but i managed to keep it under control since i
> >had the input muted in the repeater.  Still, in a live
> situation this
> >would be quite a problem. Anybody have experience doing this?  Any
> >suggestions on preventing leakage, noise gate on the mic maybe?
> >--
> >ernesto schnack
> >http://schnack.does.it

For looping live with saxophone I almost fixed this problem by bringing
my studio mic pre amp with a great gate/expander function. Before I got
wealthy enough to buy such a device I never used any kind of gate on the
mic. So in those days my loopers picked up all kind of strange noise
from the PA system monitors. Especially with sax you have to stand by a
stage monitor or you won't hear what you are playing if other musicians
crank it up. However, in some way I think it sounded cool with this
"entire PA mix" getting looped ;-)

But if you want your guitar notes to die off naturally I would say it's
pretty hard to use an expander/gate. At some part of the fading note it
will kick in and mute the tone. I would agree with Cara that a volume
pedal might be the best fix. When I play my noisy Strat I always use the
volume knob on the guitar to mute every moment I am not playing a note.
That's a good method because it becomes more musical than a
gate/expander.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se