From: Robert Michael [mailto:rob_michael_2002@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 7:15 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: looping with a mic

The solution is simpler that one might think.  As long
as your looping rig involves a sub-mixer w/  headphone
jack--have the house floor monitors turned off
completely and simply use any earbuds/headphones.

 I have done this w/ a Mackie 1202 vlz several times.
In order that I can EQ my stereo headphone mix without
messing with the house mix-just go phones out into the
channel inputs another small mixer (those cheap little
behringers are fine) and split the signal at the 2nd
mixer's  phone out to accomodate any one else who may
need the mix.

It's not the most glamorous solution--but room noise
and feedback problems are effectivley eliminated.

Cheers,

Rob Michael

>I've been dreaming of a earbud/headphone system to
use >as monitors for
>years.  I know a lot of big acts use them
exclusively.  >Anyone here

Popperwell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used to use my DL4 with my miced up flute (close
clip-on omni
> condenser) and
> had such problems with build-up of noise from
monitors and audience.
> There's a
> really critical level, over which FOH and monitors
made it imposible
> to create
> loops with much subtlety and definition. I agree
about gates and volume
> pedals,
> also monitor levels, position on stage also help.
>
> I now use my wind synth system and its wonderful not
to wory about
> noise and
> feedback - that any "noise" that I create is
deliberate and part of
> what I'm
> doing.
>
> Ian.
>

> At 07:15 19/01/03 , you wrote:
>> yes ii used to mic my looping set up. it was a
nightmare! especially
>> in live
>> situations. gates help, you cant get around direct
somehow. i have
>> built a
>> nifty routing system that pulls up to 12 channels
into my boomerang+.

<http://www.jimmygeorgearts.com/>http://www.jimmygeorgearts.com

the first time with a
>>> mic, instead of plugging in my acoustic guitar.
The result was
>>> great,
>>> esp. because it allowed me to easily use other
instruments
>>> (including my
>>> voice).  I was even thinking of using a stereo
pair and recording
>>> parts
>>> from different positions to place them in the
stereo field.

>>> However, the leaking of the monitored signal into
the mic became a
>>> problem at one point, but i managed to keep it
under control since i
>>> had
>>> the input muted in the repeater.  Still, in a live
situation this
>>> would
>>> be quite a problem. Anybody have experience doing
this?  Any
>>> suggestions
>>> on preventing leakage, noise gate on the mic
maybe?
>>> --
>>> ernesto schnack
>>> <http://schnack.does.it/>http://schnack.does.it