Re: Sitarist interested in Live Looping

I'm one of those who enjoys watching you play acoustic instruments more
than a
gadget that simulates them.  One of the great things about an acoustic
instrument is the way it emanates sound from its actual location.  Last
night at
the LoopFest, Rick and Jon both played various things, framedrum, plastic
bullroarer, saucepan, while moving around or from different locations, and
it
was incredibly refreshing in contrast to the instruments created sound
from a
fixed, amplified source.

You'd have to sample a hand drum a thousand times to get all the different
possibilities from the hand on the surface.  I have nothing against
electronics
per se, but I enjoy them best when used for their capability to create
unheard-of sounds, rather than imitating long-perfected ones.  I imagine
the
handsonic would be a great interface for a hand percussionist to control
MIDI
sounds in otherwise difficult ways, for example.

Daryl Shawn
highhorse@mhorse.com