Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

> Even though depressing a piano key is discreetly parametric (you send a
>  hammer event at a velocity).  This event affects the timbre of the
>string
as
>  well as simply the volume.  The player then gets to decide how long to
>let
>  the overtones "bloom".

I noticed that when you hit a piano note for the second time
while holding the sus pedal down there's a very different sound.
a lot brighter, because the hammer collides with the vibrations
from another note.

Many classical pianists are credited with the ability to bring
out the different melodic strands in a polyphonic piece just
by control of the note volumes. (perhaps relevant to building up
polyphonic loops, usually I vary the tone for each layer, but maybe
its nice to use the exact same sound at a different volume level)

>  Pipe organs are even crazier...The pipes cross-talk so that depending
>on
>  what you play, the sound changes (we're not simply talking about
>  inter-modulation in the ambient here).  This cross-talk is SO STRONG
>that
>  the intonation of the pipes change

........interesting
would that be more noticeable when a high pitched pipe is affected
by a low pitch one?

andy butler