Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

find that very expressive music can be made with relatively few
parameters.
Clavier instruments are very good examples of this. One is talking through
mechanical or electrical proxies to the sound production means. Simple
parameters can interact in complex and sometimes unexpected ways.

sure, melodies and rhythms are expresive and dont depend on sound, but
when
we talk about the expression of instruments here, its probably mosty
through
the sound

----

Here' I'm actually taking about the sound.  I think the neat think is that
even with a parametric instrument like piano, you can control sounds
through
rates (you basically have hammer velocity and a release event, plus some
global pedal control).
The time slices are of a finer scale than rhythm, the expressive
velocities
are of finer resolution than noted dynamics.
Even though depressing a piano key is discreetly parametric (you send a
hammer event at a velocity).  This event affects the timbre of the string
as
well as simply the volume.  The player then gets to decide how long to let
the overtones "bloom".
There are also options such as how long you let slurs interact, the slur
itself may be a somewhat melodic expression, but how you let the sounds
interact (relative volumes) can affect things sonically.

Pipe organs are even crazier...The pipes cross-talk so that depending on
what you play, the sound changes (we're not simply talking about
inter-modulation in the ambient here).  This cross-talk is SO STRONG that
the intonation of the pipes change depending on what each pipe "hears".
In
the pipe organ, we have a machine with simple parametric inputs, but the
sonic qualities are very dynamic