Re: inspiration from drones (was: Real instruments vs. electronicinstr)

James said:
>Ever listen to changes in the timbre of a drone and hear an implied
>melody?

thats how this here all started! I was using a delay to mount drones
and heard things...

For the first year, all my music started with a bass drone of a
minute or so: The concentration I needed to hear the theme come up.
Since then, I use them often in therapy where stability an base is
the subject and in meditation to visualize the crating energy and its
infinite components. Just yesterday in a contact improvisation dance
lesson, there was an exercise to feel the partner approaching and
everbody agreed that my (not so strict) drone helped a lot to
concentrate.

But, as you say, a main purpose is to make melodies appear, and this
works in public also. If you are in a suficiently loose ambience a
drone makes the public sing along: first the drone, then related
notes and finally whole melodies!
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org