Re: Bassloop,the CD.

Hi,

Sorry to say the laws of physics haven't changed all that much yet. I
think that has something to do with why the V-Bass didn't have a
built-in MIDI out and appears to track so much better-- the attacks
(at least) are derived from signal processing instead of pitch
detection/resynthesis.

Nonetheless, the GI-20 tracks as well or better than any other
pitch-to-midi device I've tried. It follows bends and slides nicely.
 From the few days experience I have with it, I'm estimating it
outputs a midi note after about 3 cycles. For the lowest note on my
bass, that's 40 milliseconds which is an awfully long time to wait
:-) But that's to be expected, and I am not even trying to use it for
rhythmic attacks, but rather to trigger textural sounds that layer in
with processed pickup signals.

Yes, it requires a GK-compatible pickup with the lovely little 13-pin
DIN connectors. I took apart a GK-2B and rebuilt it to fit the string
spacing on my upright, and it works great for pizz but not arco (it's
a magnetic coil so no wonder), and I'm building a GK splitter/router
box now. I'm hoping to try a Lightwave optical pickup soon.

-Alex S.