Re: obsolesence

--- Jeff Shirkey <jcshirke@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> >FWIW, I agree with Greg on this one. There is a dramatic difference
>between a
> >musical instrument and a computer. Yes, they both devalue rapidly,
> >however unless
> >it's not functioning at all, the musical instrument will still be
> >useful in a few
> >years, provided you like the sounds it makes.
>
> True to a point, yes.
>
> But how much would any of you give me for my ART Proverb? Prob. not
> much...maybe not a penny. Its value (retail, that is, not musical) is
> near zero.

Yes, but that was hardly an excellent piece of kit to start with. I used
to have
one, about 12-13 years ago. It was noisy and the reverbs sounded flat even
by the
standards of that day. I think I paid $75 for it back then, it's probably
still
worth close to that today.

Perhaps a better example would be the Yamaha SPX-90 I have. I think I paid
maybe
$200 for it 15 years ago. Just checked completed auctions on ebay and I
see that
they're still selling for close to that.

> I do see what you mean about buying used (or old model) gear at a low
> cost right off the bat. Then its resale value may be at or at least
> near what you originally paid for it--at least in the short(er) term.
> I'm still not convinced about the long haul, however. Synths may be
> an exception. But many effects boxes and the like...I think they are
> replaced very, very quickly, and value on older units decreases
> rapidly.

Unless you're talking about junky or unpopular stuff, the depreciation
rate on
older effects is much slower then for new ones. And at least the initial
purchase
price is lower, so you don't lose as much, even if the percentage is the
same.

At some point you're purchasing it for the utility it provides. So if your
ProVerb has given you $75 worth of utility over the last 10 years, it
doesn't
matter if it's not worth a dime tomorrow. I have a few effects like this.
My
closet is big enough to keep 'em around for that slim chance I'll use 'em
again
if nobody wants to give me a decent price for 'em. <grin>

Greg