Re: Playing an instrument vs. building an instrument...

At 03:33 AM 8/25/2003, SoundFNR@aol.com wrote:
> >   What I don't understand, is the desire for more and more and more of
> >  "better" something that may not even be defined yet, to create
>something
> >  that one isn't even aware of, and doesn't seem to be going toward now.
> >  Dreaming is wonderful and so very important, but this sounds like a
>very
> >  aimless and nameless pseudo-need to me.
>
>There's people out there who have a really strong vision
>of what they want to achieve with their music, surely
>it can't hurt for them to imagine a future technology
>that will help them to do this.

I think you got Cara's point backwards there. People with a strong vision
of what they want are the people who also develop a very deep and
intuitive
connection to the instruments and tools they use to create. They spend
they
time focused on their idea and become very good at it. Those are also the
people who drive the technologies and tools to be something better and
new,
because their vision rules over everything and they need the right tools
make it happen.

For example, Andre LaFosse and Matthias Grob are two people with very
strong visions of what they want to do with their music, and have focused
tremendous energy on developing those musical ideas. Both of them have
such
deep, personal, and intimate understandings of their instruments and tools
that they can be very musical and expressive with them. At the same time
both of them, by digging so deeply into their personal visions, have
developed new techniques and looping functions that nobody else ever
imagined, raising the bar and giving all the rest of us new looping tools
in the process. By becoming so involved with that one idea, they could
clearly see the next step to take.

On the other hand are the ones Cara speaks of, those who constantly toss
out one thing to try the next shiny object, with no clear vision of what
they are looking for. You never become intimate enough with any one thing
to really make it a part of your ability to express yourself. You have a
jumble of partially learned processes and instruments, and none of them
really connected into you. Interestingly, while these are the ones always
trying something new, they don't seem to be the ones who really start a
revolution and create something new.

kim