Re: what a loop has to say

You don't have to read this philosophical drivel.....BUT...the nice thing
with this thread, I think, is that most everyone on this list has to some
extent integrated technology into the identify of their sound, whether
that
be a looping device or a complicated array of effects processors, whether
it
is to completely redefine their sound or merely enhance it. We are amongst
friends in that respect.  There is another school of thought, a purist
one,
probably not fostered in this group, that would suggest that we are all
guilty of masking talent with gimmicks and gadgetry. And I would openly
admit that this group has a valid argument, given the set of assumptions
and
values upon which their argument rests. All of our viewpoints here rest on
set of assumptions and personal or community based values. So we're not
touting the Truth here, merely investigating and exploring what we can
infer
from a common set of assumptions, or reconsile different assumptions. I
like
this sort of activity. It stimulates my brain, and also makes me aware
that
we can be contradicted at any point in time with a parallel set of
assumptions and arguments.

In this above light, I don't really think his is a debate (in the strict
term), as it is a comparison and contrast of assumptions and the
inferences
we can draw from them. No one can dispute a subjective value, like liking
the color red, but we can question the logic involved in inferring things
from those values. I go back to the famous analytic and linguistic
philosopher Wittgenstein's concept that there are really no legitimate
arguments once you get clear on the assumptions and meanings of the terms
we
use.  This is all language games, an interesting cluster fuck of
complementary and/or contradictory assumptions and their respective
inferences. Have you ever seen two people argue endlessly about whether
something they see is actually denoted by one term or another? That's a
language game, based on different assumptions. The argument wouldn't even
start until they agreed on the terms and then started making inferences
from
that point onward.  In my experience, 99% of the arguments I hear or read
in
the area of music and art, are language games.  They never begin with a
clarification of the assumptions, which lay the foundation for discussion
and prevent unnecessary bantering.

Kris