Re: Zappas' guitar playing: was: What a loop has to say

Dennis Montgomery wrote:

> Zappa.  I really miss his presence as a musical satirist during these
> bush years.  He had the audience and independent clout to speak out.
> Kinda disappointing that the major musical voice of dissension this
> millenium has been The Dixie Chicks :-)

I still remember vividly stumbling upon Zappa's music for the very first
time:
I grew up (5-16 years old) in a small town of less than 500 people
and babysat for a few families to make some extra
$ (guess this small town was enlightened enough
even back in the 1980s to realize that guys can
be good babysitters as well as girls).
Anyway, this family whom I had never babysat
before called me at the last minute because their
regular sitter was sick.  Usual routine until the
kids had been put to bed and I noticed they
had a big record collection (a first for families
I babysat; the others had little to no vinyl).
I went through those records voraciously and
devoured the covers and sounds: Zappa (those covers, those song titles,
those songs!),
Genesis (back when Peter Gabriel was still
a member), Tangerine Dream, and on and on.
Unfortunately I never got to babysit for that
family again (they had a regular sitter, after all),
but I can look back on that twist of fate as
a delicious entryway into new sounds.
Andrew

--
Andrew Duke