Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

Is anyone on the list using the M-Audio Fast Track Pro?

Fast Track Pro
4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps
USD 249.95

I'm just curious how this would compare to the Indigo IO in terms of quality and latency, etc....I don't have any experience with USB interaces and latency, except with the Digidesign mBox, where playback and recording buffer settings needed to vary when I wanted no latency recording or no buffer error playback.

Kris
8. Metric Halo Mobile I/O ULN-2 - http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/uln2/ - $1075
9. Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface - http://www.audioamigo.com/edifa101.html - $500
10. Edirol UA-5 (USB 1.1) - http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-5/index.html - $300

Most of these are totally overkill for me...there's no flippin' way I'm spending $500-800 on an audio interface, but given the number of inputes these more expensive units have and what they can do, the price does seem right.

Now, for my user requirements:

- 1 stereo ouput, 1 stereo input, 1 mic input (optional)
- Small and portable (no rack mount units), the size of a sandwich preferrably
- USB, Firewire, or PCMCIA (PCMCIA is best, IF AND ONLY IF it does not disable my laptop's soundcard...my Audigy 2 ZS does, which I do not like)
- $300 or less

Given this, the Echos look good, as do the M-AudioMobilepre and Edirol UA-5.

Kris