Re: more to slide than blues?

To be even more precise (thank you Bill), "more to slide than blues" was a response to our friend who bonked his finger. He had said something in reference to blues and slide. I said, "There's more to slide than blues." So, Hawaiian (and all the other music) is a part of that 'more to'. I didn't mean to dis Hawaiian music.

Just wanted to clarify.

So, in the spirit of curiosity & scholarship, I thought I'd check www.wikipedia.org to see what they had to say about slide guitar:

The technique of using a slide on a string has been traced by noted blues scholar and musician Dr. David Evans to a one-string toy-instrument: the "diddley bow," which resembles one-stringed African instruments. The tuning and bend filled playing style resembles the blues-harp. (van der Merwe 1989, pp. 66-67)
The technique was made popular by African American
blues artists. Some of the blues artists who most prominently used the slide include gospel singer Blind Willie Johnson, Son House, and Robert Johnson. The sound has since become commonplace in country and Hawaiian music. It is also used occasionally in classic rock, mainly by bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin that have been heavily influenced by the blues.

I'll be dog gone!

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.