Re: Mobius part 2

It's a blast, man...I'm just waiting for someone to create a VST host that
is flexible enough to satisfy multiple user needs.  Chainer, EnergyXT,
Bidule...I've used them all, but they all have their pros and cons.  I
need
a host that is simple and easy to configure, yet also provides a lot of
flexibility.  Chainer is easy to configure, but not flexible.  And I know
Jeff Kaiser is going to chime in here and say that MAX/MSP is the holy
grail
and key to our troubles, but I have not tested that yet.  I'm sure it has
its Achilles Heel...they all do.

I would like a host that allows me to create a "module" of VSTs in a
seqeence, or in parallel, and to bring that up immediately with the touch
of
a button. I know Bidule does this, but I don't want to see all the blased
VSTs on the screen. I want to set them up, configure each VST with its own
preset, and then hide the sequence with nothing but a button or icon that
will activate it when I want, and  without it taking up CPU while it is
hiding. This means a simple and uncluttered user interface...I emphasize
uncluttered, as I don't want to see a bunch of VST plugin icons and tons
of
virtual wires strung all over my screen that looks like a rats nest.   A
module in this case would sort of be like a virtual rack.

Or another way a host could handle this is for you to load up all the VSTs
you want, including differenet versions with different presents, and store
them in the background. Then you basically have a custom routing function
of
the host, where you can map the signal from one VST to another and save
the
whole sequence as a module.  And then with one button push, I call up that
module.

I suppose the workaround would be to create multiple versions of Chainer,
each of which would be my module of unique VST effects, save it,  and then
pop that custom Chainer module inside Energy XT....I have no idea whether
that would work...a VST host inside another VST host. There could be some
contention issues.

One thing about EnergyXT that I think is a "bug" but probably a
undesireable
feature, is that the more VST plugins you load into it, the more slugglish
it gets...even when they are not activiated. I find that odd.  If I have 5
plugins on the screen, all not activated, it responds quickly to button
presses, dragging the plugins around, etc. But if I have 50 plugins on my
screen, which is what I have in Chainer, it gets really slow. There is a
delay between pressing a button to activate a VST and it turning on, or
when
you drag a VST icon across the screen.

I'd like to experiment with Bidule again, but I lost it when I reformatted
my old notebook, and now the free version is no longer available on the
Plogue website.  I need to buy it, essentially.

Kris