Re: Dork with a DOD nees help

mmason wrote, in part:

>      My equiptment is really crappy. I use a DOD 4 second delay/sampler
>for
>      my looping duties. I really enjoy doing Frippertronics type things
>      with my Ebow and volume controll. I also use some crappy chorus
>pedal,
>      a Boss Heavy Metal pedal, and a Crybaby 535 wah pedal. My guitar is
>      Peavey Preadator the I modified with new pickups, tuners, ect. And I
>      painted all over it.

Boris,

"When you're out of red, use blue."  So, allegedly, said Pablo Picasso.
I've found it's much healthier for me to make the music I can, with the
gear I have, than to waste time _not_ making music because I don't have
a particular tool.

You have twice the max delay time I have-- my only looper is a Vortex.

You're actually in a very solid position with respect to equipment,
because you have most of the bases covered-- you don't _need_ anything
desperately.  This means you can wait till you find bargains (like last
winter's closeout Lexicon gear), rather than spending a lot of money to
expand your rig.  And I somehow doubt that Jon and Kim feel the freedom
to modify their new Klein guitars that you enjoy with the Predator. ;-)

>      Any interesting artists/bands I should hear?

Be sure to take advantage of the music offered on the Web by the folks
right here on this list!  See the World-Wide Index of Loop Artists
(http://www.annihilist.com/loop/profiles/Profiles.html) at the
Looper's Delight.  I'm gradually working through them myself.  I've
really enjoyed and learned from Stephen Goodman's
(http://www.primenet.com/~sgoodman/Studios/) and Matt McCabe's
(http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~finley/kingnever.html) music.

>Any looping tips?

Do it!  Trust your own ear and judgment-- if your music doesn't satisfy
_you_, how can it satisfy anyone else?

Listen to any music you hear-- good or bad, looped or not, whether you
like it or not.  If you don't like something, ask yourself why, so you
can keep it from happening in your own music.

Ask questions.  "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

>      Boy I really sound like a dork.

Not to me. :-)
--
John Pollock